Karim Khan Citadel, Shiraz
The Karim Khan Castle or Arg-E Karim Khan is a citadel located in the downtown Shiraz, southern Iran. It was built as part of a complex during the Zand dynasty and is named after Karim Khan, and served as his living quarters.
The design of the citadel combines military and residential architecture, for it was the home of Karim Khan and the military center of the dynasty.
Arg-e-Karim Khan was built in 1180 AH (1766-7). Karim Khan invited the best architects and artists of the time and bought the best materials from other cities and abroad for the construction of the citadel of Karim Khan, which was quickly constructed. During the Zand dynasty it was used by the king as living quarters. During the Qajar period it was used as the governor’s seat.
Prince Abdolhosein Mirza Farmanfarma, governor of Fars Province, ordered the miniatures in the citadel to be renovated.
After the fall of the Qajar Dynasty it was converted into a prison and the paintings were plastered over. In 1971 it was given to Iran’s Cultural Heritage Organization. The renovation of the citadel started in 1977.
The Karim Khan Castle or Arg-E Karim Khan is a citadel and a complex during the Zand dynasty located in the downtown Shiraz.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!